Leia'll Make You Wait for It Cheesecake

... or, "More Commitment than Marriage Cheesecake" or "The Long Engagement Cheesecake," because seriously, this cheesecake. Not for the faint of heart.

I wanted to make a good ol' regular plain cheesecake because I'd just gotten a springform pan, and that's what you make in a springform pan - cheesecake! I don't remember why I got a springform pan in the first place, since cheesecake wasn't the motivation. Let's see if my partner remembers.

...

Well, THAT was painful, but hey, we remember! It was a cheesecake, but it was a Boston Cream Cheesecake, and since that's half cake and half cheesecake, it hardly counts.
Not that you care. Doesn't matter.

What does matter is that I wanted to make a plain old cheesecake and instead ended up with what is, to date, the WEIRDEST recipe in my arsenal that yields the BEST sweet I make. No seriously, hands-down, this is the best. Better than my brownies. Better than my Mexican't Chocolate Pie. Better even than my Boston Cream Cheesecake, and that thing's almost better than wedding night consummation activities.

Oh, and it's lifted just about wholesale from this website, but I'm putting it here because a) recipes sometimes disappear off the 'net, and b) I disagree with the original crust recipe and find my own to be 200% superior.

This cake takes, I'm not even kidding, close to 30 hours from breaking open the package of oreos to serving it, but it's not really 30 hours of work, it's just 30 hours of waiting. And this, my friends, like waiting for Mr./Ms. Right, is completely worth the wait.

So without further ado, I present to you ...

Leia'll Make You Wait for It Cheesecake


Ingredients

Crust
1 package (14.3 oz) oreo cookies or graham crackers
6 tbsp butter/margarine, melted

Cheesecake
5 packages (40 oz total) cream cheese
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla

1 3/4 cups sugar
1/8 cup flour
1/4 cup heavy cream



Instructions

- DO NOT PREHEAT THE OVEN. Oh god this recipe is so weird. Also, DO NOT MAKE THIS RECIPE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A SPRINGFORM PAN. It won't work. Go get a springform pan. I got a set of 3 for like $15 (that's $5 a pan, son), they're that cheap.

- Get your cream cheese out to soften. I got it out the night before, let it soften for close to 24 hours, and it was STILL a pain in my neck. You'll get that, I guess.

For the Crust
- Dump the oreos/graham crackers into a food processor and grind them up into crumbs.
--- Note 1: If there are some chunks leftover, that's okay.
--- Note 2: If you don't have a food processor, you can either put the cookies in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin, or you can stop being a tool and go buy a food processor. Your call.

- Melt the butter/margarine.
- Dump the oreo crumbs into an ungreased 10" springform pan, then dump the melted butter over the crumbs. Mix by hand until the crumbs are moistened, then press the buttery crumbs onto the bottom and up onto the sides. Refrigerate the crust while you get ready to make the filling.

For the Filling
- Put your cream cheese into a LARGE mixing bowl and chop on it some with a spoon or spatula.
- Separate the eggs and put the yolks into the cream cheese bowl.
--- Note 3: Save the whites, surely there's a meringue out there for you to make or something. Later.
- Add the eggs one at a time and, using a hand-mixer, mix on low for a bit, stopping every so often to scrape the sides. When it starts to look like cottage cheese, add the vanilla and turn the mixer up to medium speed and keep mixing. Mix until smooth. This always takes WAY longer than I'm expecting and tends to really tick me off.
- Once it's smooth (or you're done trying to get it smooth), add 1 3/4 cups sugar, 1/8 cup flour, and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Mix that in until it's smooth.

For the Grand Finish
- Get the crust out of the refrigerator and pour the cream cheese mixture into it.
- Put the cheesecake into your cold, totally un-preheated oven and close the door.
- Set the oven to 400*F and a timer for 15 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, 15 minutes later, turn the temperature down to 200*F and set another timer for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours have elapsed, turn off the oven and crack the door. Leave the door cracked for 1 hour.
- After that hour has elapsed, take the cheesecake out of the oven and put it into the refrigerator.

Then, wait 24 hours before getting into it.

No, I'm not kidding. But it really is totally worth the wait, and I can't imagine it would taste very good before it's completely set up. Leave it in the 'fridge 'til it's done, then get into it.

I recommend cutting very, very small slices - this cheesecake made, I'm not kidding, 20 servings. You won't want a big slice. Little, puny slices. And you can top them with stuff - we topped ours with tinned blueberries because I made it in January and there's no fresh fruit in Massachusetts in January - but really, this cheesecake is so good, it doesn't even need topping. So. Very. Good.

Enjoy!

P.S.
This is the clean version of the original recipe. Hi Regina!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf