Orange-glaze Tofu Slices of Heaven on Steamed Vegetable Bliss

I learned how to make a really stupidly outstanding orange-glaze tofu yesterday, but didn't have anything good to serve it on (the quinoa mix I initially tried was an utter, devastating FAILURE). Tonight, I made the tofu again (and by the way, it's so good, I'd totally make it by itself and eat it straight from the pan) and made some veggies to go with because, hey, veggies!

I expected it to be good. I mean, how could it not be? Tofu prepared  in a way I knew I liked, served atop foods prepared in a way I know I like - that sounds like a recipe for success, doesn't it? I wasn't expecting it to be this good, though. The flavors and textures all combine into something that really just ... I don't know. I usually try to be funny in my blog-posts, but this meal is so straight-up unbearably good - and good for you, when does THAT ever happen - that I'm all out of jokes and really just want to share the recipe with the world.

Here it is. Try it. You'll love it as much as I do, or you're wrong. No other way about it.

Orange-glaze Tofu Slices of Heaven on Steamed Vegetable Bliss

Ingredients
The Base
1 largish sweet potato
1 big head of broccoli
1/2 cup dried cranberries OR 2/3 cup fresh cranberries

The Tofu
7-10 oz extra firm tofu (half the package)
~2 tsp olive oil for pan-frying

The Glaze
1/2 cup orange juice (or 1 tbsp concentrate in 1/2 cup water)
1 1/2 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp mirin (rice wine)
1 tsp maple syrup
2 tsp diced garlic (or 1 clove)
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp dry rosemary

Umm ... nuts
2 small handfuls crushed pecans for topping


Instructions
- Peel and cube the sweet potato into pieces about 1" cubed.
- Cut the broccoli into not-small florets.
- Place both in steamer. If you're using dried cranberries, put them in the steamer, too.
- These should steam about 10-20 minutes, or however long it takes you to make the rest of the meal.

- Drain and pat-dry your tofu, kind of. Don't work too hard.
- Cut the block in half. Put half away for later. Probably tomorrow night's dinner - you're going to want to make this again then, I can almost guarantee it.
- Slice the remaining half into 6 slices.

- Lightly grease a 10" skillet with olive oil. Place over medium-high heat. This is 8.5 on my stove.
- Place the tofu slices into the pan and set a timer for 4 minutes.

- While that's cooking, make the glaze: Combine everything from the orange juice to the rosemary into a cereal bowl, and whisk them together.

- Flip the tofu at  the 4-minute mark. The cooked side should be a nice golden brown.
- Cook an additional 3 minutes on the flip-side so the other side turns golden brown as well.

- Dump the glaze over the now nicely pan-fried tofu. No need to stir or anything - it'll boil and move the tofu around itself.
- Reduce heat a bit (7 on my stove) and let that noise cook about 4-6 minutes, or until it's reduced to a glaze. You can plate your veggies while this is happening.

- While the glaze is cooking down, arrange half the broccoli and half the sweet potatoes onto each of two plates.
- Sprinkle the cranberries on top.

- Top with the tofu once the glaze has cooked down.
- Top that with the crushed pecans as a final nod to excellence.

Serve hot with a nice cold drink. I'd  say something moderately hilarious here, but I'm really out of jokes. This meal is no joke. It's just really, really, really delicious. I'm still in shock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf