Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

This recipe has been almost entirely copied from this amazing site, but I'm putting it here because a) things have a tendency to disappear off the internet, and b) I made a few modifications, and since the outcome was so unbearably tasty, I'd like to have a record of what I did so I can do it again.

This recipe is not good for you. This is one of those recipes that's all "you bike 60+ miles a week and eat fresh veggies all the time, so you can probably survive this." It's really worth it. Which is good, because I'm going to need to make this recipe, probably more than a few times a year.

I'll say it makes 8 servings, but they're large servings. It'd make an excellent snack for guests (we're thinking it'll be nice to make when my mother-in-law visits, for example, because after the long train-ride, she always wants to just eat a little something and drink until she forgets how many hours she's spent on a train) but it also made a delightful dinner. We served it with a side of broccoli and a side of applesauce with strawberries in it. Those were healthy. This is not.

I 100% do not care.

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Ingredients
30 oz tinned buttermilk biscuits, cut into 72 pieces (there should be some biscuits left over)
10 oz mozzarella string cheese, cut into 72 pieces
8.5 oz pesto (I've not yet made my own, but that's a thing that's going to happen)
1 1/2 cups shredded parmesan cheese - you will use 1/2 cup, then 1 cup later on
Pizza sauce for dipping

Instructions
- Spray a bundt pan with non-stick spray and preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Ask someone else to open the tins of biscuits while you hide in the corner like the coward you are.
- Open all of the string cheese.

- Start cutting the biscuits.
--- Mine were really small, so I cut them in half (I used the ones that came in 7.5 oz tins).
--- If you're using the big full-size ones, you could probably cut them into quarters.
--- You should probably count your biscuits ahead of time and figure out what's going to give you 72 pieces with the least leftover dough.

- Cut all of the string cheese into pieces.
--- Mine came as 12 sticks, so each got cut into 6 pieces.
--- You want them to be ~1" in length.

- Wrap each piece of cheese in a piece of biscuit.
- Crimp the edges so that it stays wrapped around the cheese, but if it opens up some, don't worry about it. This will take plenty long without you working too hard.
- Arrange a layer of cheese-balls in the bottom of the bundt pan. Use enough that you've got them one cheese-ball deep and two cheese-balls across. I think this was about 30ish balls, in my pan.

- Smear a generous 1/3 of your pesto on top of that layer, using a spatula.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese.

- Wrap the rest of the cheese in biscuits and start layering them on top of the first layer.
- Take care that they're still only one cheese-ball deep, but I got 3 across, that time. This took some tetrising - don't be too concerned about the symmetry.

- Smear the rest of the pesto over the top of the second layer.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cup of cheese. Mmm cheese.

- Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown on top. I think mine got 32 minutes.
- This is the perfect time to start steaming some vegetables and cutting up a fresh fruit side dish.
- Allow to cool 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with warmed pizza sauce and some healthy side dishes so you feel even a little less guilty.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go bike to work because I'm eating this as leftovers for lunch. BANZAI!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf