Zucchini Chili Ramen

Everyone I know is sick of hearing about my amazing veggie spiralizer. I'm aware of this. But I can't stop gushing over how much I love it because COME ON GUYS IT'S A THING THAT MAKES NOODLES OUT OF VEGETABLES. I can eat all those fabulous pasta dishes without getting all bloated and sick! And without boiling noodles forever in the summertime! It's F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S.

*cough* Anyway.

So there's this place called Wagamama, and it's strange how you can go there sometimes and get a meal that's so good it makes you want to cry, then other times you go there and your meal is mediocre, at best. Complete crap-shoot. We've had more good meals there than bad, but enough bad meals there that we don't really feel  like going anymore because it's not inexpensive enough for us to gamble on getting a good meal.

One of my favorite dishes at Wagamama is the chili ramen. First time I got it, I ordered chili fried squid as an appetizer, which was great, then ate my ramen, which was great, except that I was breathing fire when I left. And even that was great because I got some Pinkberry to quell the burning of my face, and since I'd never had Pinkberry before, I was definitely not prepared for how unbearably good Pinkberry was going to be, and that's how I ended up giving all my money to Pinkberry, the end.

I can now make chili ramen, and I can make it with zucchini noodles, right here in the comfort of my own home, which means I can both cook AND eat my meal without putting on pants, and that's just ... the best. Oh, and I'm sharing it with you because I like you. You're welcome.

Zucchini Chili Ramen

Ingredients
1 tbsp chili paste
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp sriracha sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp lime juice
4 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups water + 1 tbsp + 1 tsp veggie bouillon)

1 zucchini

Toppings:
- Hard-boiled egg
- Mushrooms
- Shredded carrot
- Chili-oil bamboo shoots
- Bean sprouts
- Fried sliced onion
- Frozen spinach (thawed, obviously)


Instructions
- Combine the first six ingredients (through broth) in a big ol' soup pot. Don't put it on the stove yet.
- Spiralize your zucchini noodles into said pot. Cut them some so that they're not so terribly long.
- Place that on the stove over medium heat and simmer heartily for 10-15 minutes.
- While that's going on, make your toppings a thing. I personally love a hard-boiled egg on my ramen.
- Serve into two big bowls and eat immediately, using chopsticks. Have a bell handy to shame anyone who eats it with a fork.


No seriously, that's it.

Since there's room left over (it's a web page, Molly, there's never not going to be room), let's have story time:

The first time I made this, we'd waited around until the VERY last minute to go to the grocery store, which meant that we were pretty freakin' hungry by the time we got home with our groceries (I'll say probably 9:30 pm). I put the ramen together, then seasoned some haddock with Mrs. Dash table blend mix and pan-fried it so it was all crispy and tasty, and I plated it all pretty and stuff because of reasons, but then as I was walking out of the kitchen to put the plates on the table, the curtain in the kitchen doorway caught on the edge of one of the plates of fish and knocked it out of my hand, onto the floor, ruining it.

Tired and hungry as I was, I quietly set the other plate of fish aside, then curled up in a ball and sobbed like a child. I think if I'd had anything in my stomach, I would've thrown up. Cleaned up my dish of ruined fish while I sobbed, had to throw it away because cat hair is NOT a nice seasoning, and then after I'd gotten myself under control, I blew my nose, which triggered a big dirty nosebleed, which got me started crying all over again. Poor David was out spraying vinegar on the floor to finish cleaning up the mess for me, heard me crying, and came into the bathroom, where he found me sitting on the toilet lid, sobbing all over again, with blood all over my face, hands, and T-shirt.

It wasn't a good night.

The recipe's great, though! Give it a go. Just maybe give the fish a miss? I'm pretty sure it's jinxed. >:|

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf