Margarita Omnomnomelettes

I've re-discovered omelettes recently, and I'm not really sure why I'm liking them so well these days. Maybe because there's no meat in them now, unlike I did back when I first learnt to make omelettes, and meat tends to smell like a wet dog, to me? Dunno. Regardless, we're eating omelettes at least three times a week, these days, and I think I might be in love.

This recipe came about thanks to my parents and their trip to Italy ... oh heavens, it's been two years now, where did time go? Anywho, they went to Italy, discovered margarita pizzas, my dad made some for me when I visited, and then I promptly didn't make them for myself because failure.

Until now.

First time I made this meal, I'd come home late from a long day at work, eaten an irresponsible number of leftover birthday baked goods, indulged in an irresponsible number of mimosas (which is two, I am such a lightweight), and then opted for pacing around the house to get 5k extra steps on my fitbit instead of showering and making dinner. It was 10pm before we actually sat down to eat, and "eat" is probably not the right word for what we did. "Inhaled" is closer to the truth. And it was amazing.

I tell you this not as a confession of my sins (that would take FAR more than just a paragraph anyway), but instead as a way to confirm the awesomeness that is this recipe. Normally, sweets + booze + exercise + no real food would = puking, for my system (especially on the first day of my monthly blood-bending, did I mention that? because that was a thing, too). But this time, it didn't. I ate, brushed teeth, went to bed, slept through the night, woke up to cramps and ate advil for breakfast, and everything was wonderful.

Beat that.

Margarita Omnomnomelettes

Ingredients

1 cup frozen spinach
3 eggs
Pinch salt
Dollop milk (probably 2 tbsp?)
Butter for the pan (probably like 1/4 tbsp?)

2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3-4 leaves fresh basil
Sliced tomato (I would prefer raw, but I had tinned, so I used that)


Instructions

- Microwave the spinach with a splash of water for 1 minute in a cereal bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, and milk.
- Add half the spinach and whisk until it's clumped together less.

- Heat a 9" omelette pan (is it just a non-stick fry-pan? I never know) over medium-high heat. Smear with butter until it has a thin coating of butter on the bottom and about 1/2" up the sides.
- Dump the egg/spinach mixture in and drop the heat to medium.
- After about 10 seconds, "swirl" the pan so that you get egg up on the sides. Wait 10 seconds, then do it again. This will give you that crispy edge around the omelette that makes it easier to fold at the end.

- Ignore that completely while you work on the filling, which is to say rip your basil leaves into strips, measure out your cheese and slice your tomato or drain your tin of tomatoes, whichever you're using.

- When the wet surface of the egg is really gelatinous and looks like it's almost completely cooked through, you can move on. DO NOT RUSH THIS PART. As long as the egg isn't bubbling underneath, you're not going to burn it. Rushing will give you a sad, under-cooked omelette. Be patient! (I'm making this for dinner tonight, so I'll time mine and put a timing here. Super-extra promise.)

- When you're ready to move on, layer half of the cheese across half the surface of the omelette.
- Top that with the spinach.
- Top that with half of the basil leaf strips.
- Top that with tomatoes.
- Top that with the other half of the basil leaves.
- Top that with the remaining half of the cheese.

- Using a plastic flipper/turner/spatula/no-not-that-kind-of-spatula-david-are-you-an-idiot, fold the non-loaded side of the omelette over your filling. Press down gently to encourage the cheese to start melting to the top, gluing it down.

- Turn off the heat.

- After about a minute, you can either serve the omelette, or you can try to flip it over the other direction.
--- Pros: This will fully melt the cheese on the other side, so you'll have melted cheese everywhere.
--- Cons: If this step goes wrong, your omelette will look kinda like Picasso painted it.
DO THIS STEP AT YOUR OWN RISK.

And that's it! I cut ours in half, so we eat half each, but that's just because David won't let me be a pig and eat the whole thing (which I don't need and don't think my stomach could handle, honestly). I'll post our other staple omnomnomelette in just a hot minute, but right now I'm off to get ready for work SUPER fast to avoid the massive rainstorm heading right for us. Now taking bets on how drenched I'll be by the time I reach the office (my money's on something between "wet hen" and "humpback whales are drier," in case anyone is keeping score).

Nom!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf