Mr. Moochick's Accidentally Vegan Veggie Soup

I've been accidentally making quite a lot of vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, low-fat, low/no-cholesterol dishes lately, which is interesting because a) I'm not a vegan, b) I'm not even trying to make dishes that fit any of the above categories, and c) all of these dishes are wicked tasty, which is not something one generally associates with vegan-gluten-free-soy-free-low-fat-nice-to-your-cholesterol cooking.

I mean, I guess there wouldn't be any vegans if vegan food tasted bad or boring or whatever, but still, considering how devastatingly deep my love of cheese and eggs goes, I've been pleasantly surprised to learn that my twin vices aren't actually needed in every dish I eat.

That said, whenever I take this soup to work for lunch, I find that I heat it up and expect it to be boring. Like, every single day. Even though I ate it the day before and loved it. I still expect to dislike it the following day. I suspect this means that I am a) biased, b) indoctrinated, c) not all that bright, or d) all of the above.

(The correct answer is: d)

This is a great little meal to make when you don't feel like cooking. Makes plenty of leftovers, and the ingredients can be kept on-hand for quite some time as an in-case-of-emergency type of dish. I don't yet know how long mushrooms stay good in the freezer, but it's at least one week. Google tells me 6-8 months, but that seems shifty, as do all the sites that are talking about mushrooms of the recreational variety.

OH WELL.

Mr. Moochick's Accidentally Vegan Veggie Soup

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb sliced baby portobello mushrooms, rinsed
1/2 tsp salt (you do actually need to use this, don't skip the salt)
1 14-oz can chickpeas, drained
1 heaping tablespoon minced ginger (the stuff in the jar works just fine)

1 tsp dried coriander
1/2 tsp black pepper (I eyeball and overdo this one)
1 lb frozen cut leaf spinach
1 28-oz can sliced stewed tomatoes, with liquid



Instructions
- In a big ol' soup pot, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, rinsed mushrooms, salt, and ginger, tossing to coat everything in oil.
- Allow that to cook until the onion has gone translucent and caramelized some, maybe 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.

- Add coriander and black pepper to the mix, stirring to coat everything evenly.
- Add the spinach, tossing it around so it starts to thaw some (what, you didn't think I'd bother to defrost the stuff ahead of time, did you?)
- Add the tomatoes, with liquid, stirring so the whole mess looks like a soup.

- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- If it looks not liquid-y enough, you can add 2-4 cups' water. Taste your broth after you add water, though, and add salt if you want.



Serves up great with crackers, bread, topped with cheese, paired with some nice hummus, oh my god I'm becoming That Guy, please send help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf