Gimme S'more'a that Fluffernutter Pie

I was looking for a Farmers' Market that sells local eggs and accidentally discovered that a) Somerville, MA, which is next door to where I live, is the birthplace of Marshmallow Fluff, b) this year (2017) marks the 100th birthday of Marshmallow Fluff, and c) to celebrate, the Union Square Farmers' Market is hosting an entire event dedicated to the celebration of Marshmallow Fluff.

Part of that event is a cooking contest.  I can't NOT enter something like that, come ON.

This is my entry.

Gimme S'more'a that Fluffernutter Pie

Ingredients
Marshmallow fluff, divided: 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup = 1 1/2 cups total
13 graham crackers

16 oz silk tofu
1/2 cup unsalted smooth peanut butter
2 tsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp white sugar
Pinch salt
2 oz milk (I used soy, but I don't think it matters)
12 oz dark chocolate chips

The patience of a saint (required; see * below)


Instructions
- Break 3 1/4 graham crackers into their small rectangle pieces and line the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish with them.  I needed half of a small rectangle to make this work.
- Top this with 1/2 cup Marshmallow Fluff.*

- Layer another 3 1/4 graham crackers, broken into their small rectangle pieces, atop that.
- Top with another 1/2 cup Marshmallow Fluff.

- Layer another 3 1/4 graham crackers on top of that.  Set aside.

- In a food processor, combine tofu, peanut butter, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and milk.  Blend until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate.  I use a double boiler insert over a saucepan for this, but you can melt the chocolate however you prefer.
- Add it to the contents of the food processor and blend until smooth, stopping halfway to scrape down the sides.

-  Pour the chocolate pudding over the prepared graham cracker/Fluff mixture and spread evenly.  It'll gloop down the sides, and that's fine.  Good, even.

- Top the pudding with the remaining 1/2 cup of Fluff.  To do this, I used an icing piper.  It was maddening, but effective.
- Drag a toothpick back and forth through the pudding/Fluff to make a whale-tail pattern.

- Crush 2 graham crackers and sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the pie.

- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.


The judging takes place on 23 September 2017, but today (29 August 2017) I'm taking my first go at this recipe to work so my colleagues can taste-test it for me.  By my reckoning, this means I've already won.

UPDATE 30 August 2017:  Colleagues loved the pie.  I spent the day grinning.



* If you, like me, are uninitiated in the sticky HORROR that is working with Marshmallow Fluff, allow me to share this discovery:  If you dip your fingertips in water so that they're just barely wet, you can work with Fluff without it sticking to you.  When spreading Fluff onto the graham crackers, measure out your 1/2 cup, then have a cup of water nearby.  Wet your fingertips in the cup and shake off the excess, then massage the fluff across the graham crackers.  Liberally apply Patience of a Saint here -- you will need it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf