Don't Make Declarations against My Body Cabbage Soup

Several years ago, I found a recipe called Fat-burning Cabbage Soup, and where the ingredients all sounded delicious, I'm not a fan of recipes that make declarations about my corporeal form, so it took me approximately eight thousand years to actually get around to trying it.  The results were ... okay, I guess.  The soup was SUPER bland and tasted like something you'd only eat if you were desperate to meet some sort of social standard for your physical appearance (which is stupid and you shouldn't do it -- you're beautiful how you are).

However, I had this GIANT soup-pot of disappointing soup to deal with, now (this recipe makes a LOT of food), so I added some spices and garlic and an egg on top, and all of a sudden, I had a dish that I really liked and my partner couldn't get enough of.  Seriously, the look on his face when I said I was going to make another batch?  You'd've thought Christmas and his birthday had both teamed up to bring him cheer and happiness in the middle of April.  I'm all about that kind of joy, especially if it means I can spend an hour or so on it, then have it yield joy for a solid week.

Note that you will need a big soup-pot for this.  It makes a LOT of food.  And that's just wonderful.


Don't Make Declarations against My Body Cabbage Soup

Ingredients
3 onions
5 carrots
8 stalks celery, including the leaves
1 small head green cabbage
1 10-oz bag diced green pepper

1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 1-oz envelope of Onion Soup mix (Lipton)

2 28-oz can diced tomatoes
46 oz tomato juice
14 oz vegetable broth


Instructions
- Chop up the onions, carrots, celery, and cabbage.  I go with pieces on the coarser side of chopping, since fine-dicing anything in this recipe is going to have it absolutely disappear in the dish proper.

- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large soup-pot over medium heat.  Add all the chopped veggies, but don't bother stirring them around.

- Add the basil, oregano, cayenne pepper, minced garlic, salt, and onion soup mix.   Don't bother stirring at this point, either.

- Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, and vegetable broth.  It's at this point that you can stir if you want.

- Put the heat on medium high until the contents of the pot start to simmer, then reduce the heat so that nothing boils over but still simmers/boils as best it can.  This is a delicate dance, for our soup-pot, bless it.

- Boil the whole mess for 60-90 minutes, stirring every now and again, until the cabbage and celery are tender to your liking.  They're always the last ones to go tender, for me.


I serve mine with soft-boiled eggs (1 egg for a small serving, 2 for large) and it's SO GOOD, mmm.  Adds some good creaminess to the whole thing.  I get teased about it at work, but this little contraption makes perfect soft-boiled eggs in the microwave in about 5 minutes, which means I don't have to bike soft-boiled eggs in to work (or learn how to soft-boil an egg on the stove, true story I have failed in that endeavor so many times).

Makes like 14 servings, and it's so tasty, you won't realize it's good for you. :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf