I Am Well Frosted Cream Cheese Frosting

I am forever losing this recipe because I've not got it written down anywhere localized (read: it wasn't on this blog) and the temptation to complain that I'm well-frosted over its disappearance is too strong for me to resist.

This is such a simple recipe, but oh, it's so good.  Even if you don't like cream cheese, you're likely to enjoy this frosting.   The cream cheese makes it feel lighter than a traditional buttercream and adds some sourness to it, which is an absolute delight.

I'd say something funny here, but honestly, I'm in a small food coma from eating too many Annoying Dog gingerbread cookies frosted with this, so I'll leave this as it is and go drool on something for a while.

This recipe makes enough frosting for a double-layer 8" cake, two big pans of brownies, or Far Too Many Annoying Dog cookies.  Divides neatly in half and in quarters, and I'm such a nice guy, I've done the maths for you.

You're welcome.

I Am Well Frosted Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

Full recipe
2 sticks of salted butter, softened
1 8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar

Half recipe
1 stick salted butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar

One Quarter Portion*
1/2 stick salted butter, softened
2 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cups confectioners' sugar

Instructions

  1. Beat together the butter and cream cheese with a spatula; add vanilla.
  2. Still using the spatula, add the confectioners' sugar 1 cup at a time.
  3. Once it's all combined, use an electric mixer to beat in some fluff to it -- medium speed, a minute or two.
That is literally all it takes.  For cookies, frost them, then let them "dry" for 15-20 minutes, then you can get away with stacking them and they won't stick together (too badly).  For cakes, once you've frosted them, put them in the 'fridge for 10-15 minutes and you'll get a really nice matte finish (or just leave them out at room temperature if you live in a place that's stupid cold most of the year, why did I move to Boston, again?).

Or just eat the frosting straight from the bowl.  That's cool, too.




*If you thought I wasn't going to make a Star Wars reference in this recipe, then you clearly do not know me well enough yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf