Bowl full o' healthy Spicy Chickpea Salad

In my quest to a) eat healthier and b) replicate the amazing soba salads at Bon Me, I have stumbled upon a delightful recipe for spicy Moroccan-inspired chickpeas.  However, the recipe is buried under too much scrolling through words and pictures I don't need when I'm hungry, and then when I'm trying to follow the recipe, it throws up pop-ups and calls-to-action and that makes me hangry, which nobody needs.

So!  Here's my version of their recipe, ad-free and prefaced with only one photo and very little text.  You're welcome.


Bowl full o' healthy Spicy Chickpea Salad

Ingredients
1/2 medium yellow onion, coarse-diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Spices:
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
28 oz tinned chickpeas, drained
28 oz tinned diced tomatoes WITH liquid
2 cups frozen spinach

For the rest of the salad, I include:
- Greens
- Shredded carrot
- 1/4 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 egg, hard or soft boiled (soft boiled is my preference)
- Some form of grain:
----- Buckwheat soba noodles
----- Quinoa
----- Garlic oatmeal (regular oatmeal + 1 clove garlic, minced)
----- Barley

Instructions
  1. Measure your spices into a dish of some kind.  No need to keep them separate.
  2. Dice and mince your onion and garlic, respectively.
  3. Take the lids off your chickpeas and drain them; open the tomatoes and DON'T drain them.
  4. In a big ol' soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
  5. Add the onion and garlic, cooking for a few minutes until they're soft.
  6. Add all the spices and mix them around.
  7. Add the chickpeas and mix them around to coat them in spices.
  8. Add the tomatoes and stir them around.
  9. Add the frozen spinach and stir it around.
  10. Bring the whole mess to a boil.
  11. Simmer uncovered 20-30 minutes until it's cooked down a bit.
  12. And yeah, that's it.  Easy, yeah?
I find that I like this dish better after it's had a chance to sit in its own juices for a while, but if you're like me and often end up cooking for yourself because you realize you've run out of leftovers, then you'll want to eat this right away.  My recommendation is to pull out however much you want and let it cool, maybe refrigerate it, before eating it.  I put ... hmm.  Probably 1/3 cup on each serving.

For two servings, I use one bundle of soba noodles, one carrot, and half an onion.  No idea how much quinoa, barley, or oatmeal this would want, but not much.  Small amounts of everything you put in will add up to a VERY filling dish.  And as bad as I hate peeling soft boiled eggs ... they really are better than hard-boiled here.  <SIGH>

'Tis all.  I'm pleased as punch with this recipe, and I hope you'll enjoy it, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf