Turnip for What Salad

Once upon a time, I signed up for a Farm Share, and in our first delivery, received beets.  Now I don't like beets, but I've never had a fresh beet, so I thought, fine, maybe I can turn this into something I'll like.  Went out and found a great recipe, came into the kitchen ready to expand my palette ... only to peel my beets and discover that they were, in fact, turnips.

WHOOPS.

So I quickly googled around for a recipe and came across this lovely recipe, which I have of course adapted because have you met me.  And you know?  It made arguably the most delicious roast vegetable salad I've ever eaten.  Unexpected victory is still a victory, y'all.

This instantly entered into my rotation of "stuff molly will make when she doesn't have the energy to make something," and that is a prestigious award in anyone's book.

Turnip for What Salad

Ingredients (for two salads)

2 whole turnips (I use scarlet 'cause that's what my farm share sent me)
1 Tbsp olive oil (I so eyeball this, what)
1/4 tsp salt (do NOT skip the salt)*
1/2 tsp paprika*
1 tsp lemon juice (I measure this, don't judge me)*

Fresh greens for serving (like a few handfuls, whatever'll fill a bowl)
2 eggs

*If you measure these in order, you can use the same measuring spoon for all of them! So exciting.

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450*F.
  2. Peel the turnips and chop them into 3/4-1"ish pieces (I do this by cutting each turnip along its equator, if you will, then chopping each hemisphere into pieces).
  3. Toss them with the olive oil, salt, paprika, and lemon juice.
  4. Spread them out on a silpat-lined baking sheet and roast 20-25 minutes, or until the chunks are a nice golden brown.
  5. While that's happening, bring 2-3 cups' salted water to a rolling boil in a small saucepan.
  6. Serve the turnips out onto the bowls of greens.
  7. By now your water should be at a rolling boil -- and I mean it, have it boiling as hard as you can.
  8. Crack two eggs into it, doing your best not to let the eggs overlap.
  9. Let them poach for 2 minutes without stirring them or anything.
  10. Using a slotted turner (I find this works better than a spoon), ease each egg out of the water and serve it on top of the turnips on the greens.
  11. Season with salt and pepper.
The seasoning in the turnips, plus the flavor of the greens, doused in the gooey yolk from the egg (who knew poached eggs were such a great salad dressing?) makes this just such a warm, comforting meal.  I just love it so very much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf