Wookiee Chow

I made this recipe as a treat to take to the first screening I attended of Star Wars IX: Rise of Skywalker, which I enjoyed far more than I'd thought I would (translation: I loved it, shrieked several times with joy, laughed, and at the end, I sobbed because I'm just a hot mess sometimes, whaddya want).  I saw the movie with a bunch of coworkers, so of course I offered to share my snack with them, only to discover that New Englanders don't know what puppychow/dog food/muddy buddies is.  Like ... how?  Did y'all never go to day camp in the summer?  Vacation Bible School?  4H?

(The answer: no.  And if they did, this wasn't served.  I and all of my midwestern acquaintances are horrified, I tell you! Horrified.)

I'm uploading this recipe because a) the original recipe makes twice as much as will fit in my largest mixing bowl and y'all I don't need that much of this treat lying around my house; b) I really don't like having to do mental math and divide all the numbers every time I make this (because inevitably I'll screw it up and put in too much butter, which isn't as tasty as you might guess); and c) I need to be able to quickly send this out to everyone I know who didn't grow up chomping on it because y'all've been deprived, I tell you.  D.e.p.r.i.v.e.d.

This is a great little snack and you need it right now.

Wookiee Chow

Ingredients
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
2 Tbsp butter

4 1/2 cups Chex cereal (half the box, for me)
3/4 cups powdered sugar

Instructions
  1. Melt together the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.  I do this in a double boiler; you can also do it in the microwave by melting the chocolate then adding the peanut butter and butter.
  2. Once that's all very nice and smooth, pour it over the cereal in a big mixing bowl.
  3. Using a rubber spatula, gently toss the cereal until it's all muddy with the chocolate mixture.
  4. Dump the powdered sugar on that mess and gently toss it all around until it's coated.
  5. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
It is of note that, when I make this, we have to store it in the dark, dank, dreary basement and bring up single servings into the main part of the house, because if the full container sticks around up where we can easily get to it, we'll eat this stuff by the cereal bowl.  It's just too good and I can't resist it!

It's also a good snack to have on things like long bike rides or hikes or other ventures that use up a lot of energy.  In small doses, it's a great shot of sugar, and it travels well.  But don't be confused, I mostly eat it when I'm watching movies, and it's just -- move over, popcorn, there's a new kid in town.

... now go make this and try it, especially if you've never had it before, egad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf