Drop It Like It's Hot Beer Cheese Soup

Beer cheese soup was a specialty served only on Wednesdays, I believe, at my husband's favorite pub back home in Ohio. I never tasted it, but heard quite a lot about it. Then we moved to Massachusetts and I discovered that all beers are not created equal (though in my defense, the only beer I'd ever tasted was Nattie Lite out of a keg and Corona, which is apparently Mexican pisswater) and my interest in beer cheese soup was sparked.

I followed this recipe to the letter the first time I made it (well, mostly - I kinda screwed up at one point, but nevermind) and it was all right. Kinda watery. Needed a LOT of hot sauce added there at the end. The second time I made it, I used the recipe you see here, and the result? Mmmsogood. *_* ♥

Give it a try! Let me know what you think. :)




Drop It Like It's Hot Beer Cheese Soup


Ingredients

2 cups chicken broth (I use 2 cups water + 2 bouillon cubes)
16 oz beer (I use Blue Moon - you want something light)
4 regular size carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
5 stalks celery, diced
1 heaping tbsp diced garlic
1 tbsp hot sauce (I use Red Rooster, you should too)
3 shakes salt
5 shakes black pepper

6 tbsp butter
1/3 cup flour (I use whole wheat, white would probably work)
3 cups milk (I use 2%; anything higher in fat would work)

3 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
3 cups Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded

1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard

Nice tasty whole wheat bread or crackers to go with.


Instructions

• In a medium (2-quart) saucepan over medium heat, combine chicken broth and beer.
• Chop up celery, carrots, and onion while the beer/broth comes to a boil, adding them to the beer/broth as you go.
• Add in garlic, hot sauce, black & red pepper, and salt.
• Simmer at least 15 minutes.

• While that's simmering, shred the cheese.
• In a big soup-pot in which you can use a wire whisk, melt butter.
• Add flour; cook 2-3 minutes over medium heat until flour starts to brown.
• Gradually add milk, whisking each time until the flour/butter mixture mixes in nicely.
• Once all the milk is in, increase heat a bit and start adding the cheese, stirring until it melts and the mixture is smooth.

• Dump the veggie/broth/beer mixture into the cheese/flour/butter mixture. Stir until smooth.
• Add mustard, dry mustard, and Worchestershire sauce.
• Stir until smooth.
• Serve!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesto Pizza Monkey Bread

Roasted Layered Veggie Awesome

Pescatarian Surf 'n Turf